Family Basketball Games
1. H-O-R-S-E The game of H-O-R-S-E is an old time favorite
- Any skill level can play
- The set-up is simple: 2 players or more, a hoop & a basketball.
- How to Play: The first player chooses a spot on the court and takes a shot. If the shot is made, the next player must repeat the exact same shot. If the shot is made, the process is repeated. However, if the second player does not match the first player’s shot, then they receive a letter – in this case, an “H.” If the first player misses their shot, then the second player takes the lead shot, and if it is made, the first player must match player two’s shot. And so on. This is repeated until one player misses five shots and receives all five letters that spell out the word H-O-R-S-E!
**** This is a great game to test your outside shot, or even simple layups. It’s also fun to try the wackiest of shots! Try a “behind-the back” lay-up, a shot from behind the backboard or a shot from way out beyond the driveway. The game can also be altered to a shorter version. This version is called P-I-G.
2. Lightning! Lightning is a game that tests your ability to shoot a free-throw while under pressure.
- This game is best with 3 or more players (more fun with a large group)
- It requires 2 basketballs.
- The set-up is easy:
- create a free-throw line at any distance you like (the regulation free-throw line is 15 feet (180 inches) from the backboard).
- It requires 2 basketballs
- How to Play:
- Line everyone up single-file just behind the line and give the first 2 people in line each a basketball. The first person in line takes a shot. As soon as that person releases their shot, the next person in line can take their shot.
- The object of the game is for the person taking the second shot to make the basket before the person in front of them. If the first person taking the shot makes their shot, they pass the ball back to the next person in line, move to the very back of the line and the game continues. If the first person misses their shot, they must rebound the shot and make a basket before they can pass it to the next player. However, if the person immediately behind them makes the shot before the first player can make a shot, the first player is out of the game. This pattern follows until all but one player is eliminated. The last player standing is the winner.
**** Lightning is fast-paced, highly excitable and the more players you have, the more fun the game. This is a game that tests your ability to shoot under pressure and it can leave you quite winded.
o Speed –
o 21 – Breaking the Ice – Start the game with players shooting single free throws in succession until one player makes a shot, which breaks the ice and counts as 1 point… Then it gets complicated…. here is a link to rules for playing: http://www.ehow.com/how_3049_play-21-basketball.html
o Around the World